Support for local authorities
Locality offers specialist, independent advice and support to local authorities and other statutory bodies.
Our support will enable you to:
- take a strategic approach to community asset transfer
- develop robust and fair policies and procedures
- work effectively with community and voluntary sector partners
- explore opportunities for multiple asset transfer, consortium development, co-location and service redesign.
We have produced a guide to assets for local government officers:
- Empowering communities: an officers’ guide
- And a similar guide for local councillors: Empowering communities making the most of local assets a councillors’ guide.
Develop your strategy
Locality (as the now closed Asset Transfer Unit) supported local authorities across England to develop community asset transfer policies and procedures.
Many local authorities are currently exploring the opportunities for multiple asset transfer. Read our guidance on multiple asset transfer.
There is increasing momentum around the transfer of cultural assets. We support community libraries to become enterprising and sustainable – find out more.
Find out more
For further information and resources geared specifically to local authorities and other statutory agencies, please see our resources page.
Have a look at our case studies of Locality members owning and managing property assets.
For detailed guidance for community and voluntary organisations exploring options for community asset transfer, please visit the My Community website, run by Locality.