The Carriageworks, Bristol. Empty since 1979.
Large Grade II* listed building part of a larger derelict site, seen as Bristol’s worst eyesore after being left empty since the late 1970s.
Built in 1862, the ground floor arches were originally open for use by John Perry & Sons carriages.
The Carriageworks Action Group was formed in 2011 and the following year the council agreed to use CPO powers and Knightstone housing association was named as the preferred develop. However in 2014 a new developer, Fifth Capital, acquired a controlling interest and their suggestion that a new planning application will be submitted ‘in the next few weeks’ (Nov 2014) has effectively stopped progress towards CPO. The owner, Comer Homes, have prevented access to allow a valuation.
Carriageworks Action Group