Leas Club Pavilion
Leas Club Pavilion, Folkestone. Tea Rooms: closed in 2006.
A rare example of a purpose-built Edwardian high class tearoom. Built 1902 with terracotta frontage and Art Nouveau features, during WW1 farewell concerts were held for the troops embarking for France.
From the mid-1920s untll 1984, the Leas Club Pavilion was a professional repertory theatre, as well as tea rooms.
The land is owned by the Folkestone Estate and leased to Warburtons who ran it as a successful family pub until 2006. They have sub-leased to Churchgate Developers. A 2008 planning application was for a leisure centre with 68 flats above (and 25 off-site affordable units).
With no progress so far in difficult market conditions, the application has been mothballed with a provisional approval. Meanwhile the site continues to deteriorate and there is no sign of serious repairs underway.
and the New Folkestone Society