Old Town Hall
Old Town Hall, Sheffield. Town Hall & Law Courts: Empty since 1997
Also served as a Magistrates Court from early on, later became the Crown Court and underground tunnels were added linking it to Sheffield Police Offices. This was the location of the 1867 Royal Commission which led to the legalisation of Trade Unions.
The building had already been empty for eight years when it was bought from central government by G1 London Properties, a small private company.
There were no loans secured on the building at March 2013 but the value of the company’s assets seems to fluctuate significantly from year to year.
A new group, Friends of Old Town Hall has been established to consider a range of uses. The nearby National Emergency Services Museum is interested in expanding into the building.
Watch the short film by the Friends of the Old Town Hall
Friends of the Old Town Hall