Selby Big Local puts residents and their community firmly in the driving seat enabling them to identify local needs, take action and make an impact. It is all about delivering in partnership, making the best of local knowledge, skills, ambition and enthusiasm to make Selby an even better place to live.
Selby Big Local is looking for an experienced, proactive and passionate community development worker with excellent communication and engagement skills, who can develop and support a range of activities and projects that bring the community together to achieve their goals. We are looking for:
- A pro-active, positive and enthusiastic approach, combined with a passion for working with a diverse range of communities and individuals.
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to develop communication systems and marketing tools that motivate engagement.
- Be able to inspire, motivate and help people develop their potential.
- A good understanding of community development, which may include relevant qualifications.
- At least two years track record of successful, engagement, outreach or community development, gained through paid employment or volunteering.
- Be able to demonstrate skills in outreach and community development, particularly in disadvantaged communities.
- Be able to create and use imaginative strategies to help residents work collectively to make a difference.
- Experience of bringing people together to establish small community groups, develop their own goals, and work towards sustainability.
- Experience of working, supporting, and managing volunteers.
- The determination and resilience to continue to be positive when faced with negative situations.
- The ability to be flexible in your working approach to include evening and weekend working.
- The ability to organise yourself and others, working responsibly at all times
About the role
Key Responsibilities include:
- Identify, engage and develop more community activists, volunteers, and leaders from across the Big Local area.
- Support residents of the Big Local area to identify how they would like to make the area an even better place to live and empower them to achieve this.
- Support local groups, and develop and manage structures, events and activities, formal and informal networks that enable residents to connect with each other, the wider community, and achieve their goals.
- Raise awareness of the local opportunities and address any barriers that communities face in benefitting from them.
- Manage delivery of our Community Chest funding programme.
- Identify and develop projects funded from the Community Development budget.
- To develop and manage administration systems efficiently.
- Alongside the Community Engagement Worker, support residents to use Selby Big Local’s new community building and create partnerships with other community venues that enable opportunities for resident participation.
- Alongside the Community Engagement Worker, develop a volunteer offer that supports residents to be more active in Big Local activities and the wider community.
- Work in partnership with the Selby Big Local Coordinator and Community Engagement Worker, to ensure effective communication with all relevant stakeholders.
How to apply
For an informal discussion about Selby Big Local or the position, please contact Bryony Boyle, the Selby Big Local Coordinator on 01757 291111.
Completed forms are to be returned by post to:
Bryony Boyle, Selby Big Local, Community House, Portholme Road, Selby YO8 4QQ
OR by email to email@example.com
All applications must be received by: midday Wednesday 9th October 2019.
We will endeavour to let shortlisted candidates know as soon as possible after this date.
Please note that interviews are scheduled for 6th and 7th November 2019.