We believe that one of the best ways to live a fulfilling life is to try to make life better for others as well. So we not only provide professional services for people who need them, we also create opportunities for people to help make life better for others too. In 2008, Bede was awarded the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service for our Inside Outside project. This project enables people who have a learning disability and local housebound and elderly residents to help each other. It sums up the spirit of Bede perfectly!
Essential Competencies, Qualifications, Skills, and Knowledge:
- Teaching qualification and experience required
- Able to establish a rapport with, and gain the respect of young people aged 8- to 25
- Able to handle and respond effectively to inappropriate and challenging behaviour from young people
- Provide creative and effective guidance on study skills for students with dyslexia and other learning difficulties
- Excellent communication skills
- Established proficiency in subject matter
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- Good organisational and administration skills
- Punctual and reliable
About the role
We seek a talented tutor, experienced in all subject areas, to attend one of our youth clubs and guide young people aged 8 to 16 in study practices and aides to reach their full potential. You will have direct experience of the modern school curriculum, bringing knowledge of core subjects as well as study techniques (including managing dyslexia and other learning difficulties). You will support individual young people with one-on-one advice and guidance, together with organised group activities for those studying the same material.
Youth clubs run from 5.30pm to 9.30pm, Monday to Wednesday (your start and finish times will be agreed within this framework). The 2 hours per week will include the tutor’s preparation time and the study support session.
The tutor will work under the direction of the Deputy Manager to support the planned activities of the tutoring session and the needs of the young people participating. This will involve one to one work and group work. The tutor will have direct experience of the modern school curriculum. They will bring knowledge of core subjects as well as study techniques to aid young people in their continuing academic development. The tutor will, under the direction of the Deputy Manager, help create an informal learning environment which allays any anxieties and nurtures the young people in studying towards their academic achievements.
Specifically, the Tutor will:
- Work directly with young people aged 8 to 18 years of age to develop their social education by assisting in the provision of programmes of activities, services and facilities.
- Develop individual activities or series of activities, with agreement of the Deputy Manager, to enhance the study support scheme.
- Assist in the provision of support and information to individuals and groups of young people.
- Ask students about specific topics or subject areas that are giving them trouble or that warrant further exploration
- Review recent homework assignments and test scores, and work through problems or questions that the student did not answer correctly
- Employ proven study aides to prepare for upcoming exams, tests and quizzes
- Take notes during tutoring sessions so you can follow up with the student later
- Communicate with parents/guardians about trouble areas or any other issue that requires attention
- Assist in keeping statistical and activity records
- Ensure that all sensitive information remains confidential and locked securely.
- Comply with Bede House Association’s policies and procedures, following good professional practice at all times.
How to apply
Go to the vacancies page on our website
Download the application pack:
- Tutor Applicants cover letter (docx)
- Tutor Job Description, Person Spec and Terms (doc)
- Application Form (doc)
- Application Form – guidance (doc)
- Information about Bede (PDF)
Return the application to Gwen Green at email@example.com or by post to: Gwen Green, Bede House Association, 351 Southwark Part Road, London SE16 2JW
Contact the Project Manager, Fokrul Meah on 07979 386 215 if you would like to discuss this post informally.
Short-listed candidates will be invited for interview on the evening of Monday March 16, 2020. Please keep this date free.
Bede is an Equal Opportunities employer.