Swarthmore is a centre for lifelong learning, community projects and family learning sessions as well as the courses and activities advertised in our brochure. Our main aim is to encourage people who want to learn but might not feel comfortable in more formal educational institutions. We work on a friendly, human scale, offering a confidential counselling service, on-site childcare and learning support. Many volunteers currently support the Centre’s work and we welcome their contributions of time and energy.
Here are some of the personal qualities we’re looking for:
- Enthusiasm for education and a creative approach to the development of confidence and skills
- Interest and enthusiasm in supporting the education of young people who have significant learning and developmental needs
- Willingness to work in a flexible and adaptive way under the direction of the course Tutor and Curriculum Manager
For further information please download the full Job Description and person Specification (PDF)
About the role
Do you want to be part of a passionate, hardworking team making a real difference to the lives of young people
Our Study Programme has a vacancy for a Teaching Assistant to cover a period of maternity leave commencing 15th May 2020.
This is a full time term-time only position – 37½ hours per week.
- Have a good level of general education
- Have English and Maths skills at Level 2
- Be experienced in supporting tutors delivering courses for people in the 16-25 age range with learning and/or behaviour difficulties/disabilities
- Be interested and able to support young people in work placements
How to apply
Complete our Application Form and return it, either by post or email to:
Carol Holmes, Swarthmore Education Centre, 2-7 Woodhouse Square, Leeds LS3 1AD
Swarthmore is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. The centre is actively committed to a policy of equality of opportunity through education and encourages applications from all regardless of age, disability, economic status, gender, race, religion and beliefs or sexual orientation. Successful candidates will be required to undergo a Disclosure and Barring service (DBS) Disclosure Check.