The Place-based Social Action programme (PBSA) is a £4.5m programme until December 2024 jointly funded by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) and The National Lottery Community Fund.
The programme aims to create positive change by enabling citizens, communities, local non-statutory organisations and the statutory sector to work together. The end result will be to create a shared vision for the future of their place, and address local priorities through social action.
Support for the programme is provided by Locality, the New Economics Foundation (NEF) and Cooperatives UK (Coops) until December 2021. An independent evaluation is being carried out by Renaisi, until December 2024.
Get involved – join the Facebook Group
To find out more, you can join the Place Based Social Action Facebook group.
What support is provided in the programme?
In 2018 Locality, NEF and Coops worked with 20 partnerships to help create a shared vision and plan setting out how high impact social action can help respond to local priorities. This was an opportunity for partnerships to receive one years’ worth of support to build and establish trusted networks locally, develop local capacity and capability, and identify potential social action opportunities.
In early 2019, based on the strength and ambition of the plans, 10 partnerships were awarded a grant of up to £240,000 over a three year period to implement their social action plan. Locality, NEF and Coops will continue to deliver a bespoke package of support to each partnership.
The ten successful partnerships are being led by the following partner organisations in the following areas:
- Onion Collective CIC (Watchet, Somerset)
- Hartcliffe and Withywood Community Partnership (Bristol)
- Grapevine Coventry and Warwickshire (Coventry)
- Safe Regeneration (Sefton)
- North East Lincolnshire VCSE Alliance (North East Lincolnshire)
- Halifax Opportunities Trust (Calderdale)
- Joseph Rowntree Foundation (Hartlepool)
- Lincoln City FC Sport & Education Trust (Lincoln)
- Volunteer Centre Hackney (Hackney)
- Community360 (Colchester)
- Renaisi has published the following report presenting the early experiences and reflections of the partnerships, Place Based Social Action: Phase 1 evaluation report
- For background reading to the programme, go to Enabling Social Action at gov.uk