From the outset the professionalism shown by Locality was exemplary. As a group we are in a far better place and that is due to the work Locality has undertaken with us.
- Community Involvement Co-ordinator, Mirehouse Residents Group
We believe in the power of community to create a fairer society, and that’s what community-led housing is all about. We help local groups to create new and affordable homes. Homes that are built by the community, for the community, designed to meet local community needs.
Working with Locality will give your local group the opportunity and support to build the homes your community needs.
What is community-led housing?
Community-led housing projects are led by community groups determined to make sure that new homes are built and empty homes and buildings can be brought back into use to meet local housing needs.
Projects are usually developed by or in partnership with a community organisation, and the local community organisation owns, manages or stewards the homes in a manor of their choosing.
Community-led housing helps to:
- Create affordable housing for people in need including unemployed people, single parents, young people looking to buy their first house and key workers
- Support older residents to downsize
- Make sure there is high quality housing available in the local area
I’m really grateful to Locality for bringing together such a strong team to develop this project. I can’t imagine how we would have achieved anything like as much without you.
- St Margaret’s House
How Locality can help
We have a team of advisors around the country who have experience working with community organisations on a range of community-led housing and community ownership projects. We can support your community-led housing group at every stage of the process.
- Support your group to explore different community-led housing models and then determine the most suitable legal structure and governance to deliver your project.
- Support your group to engage the community effectively and gain support for your project.
- Help you find a suitable site for housing, assess viability and develop a business plan.
One of the most useful ways to help community-led housing projects to progress is to speak to other people who have experience of the type of project your community is developing and any challenges you are facing. Locality can broker peer learning opportunities with other Locality members so that you can gain both informal advice and support.
We can help you:
- Understand the range of funding available from revenue and capital grants to loans and Community Shares.
- Determine whether you would like to become a Registered Provider and help you though the registration process.
“Locality give us rock solid advice and make me feel that ‘yeah, I can do that!’”
- Locality member
Early Stage Support programme
The Early Stage Support programme, funded by the Nationwide Foundation, offered expert mentoring and small grants to help 21 affordable community-led housing projects through the first stages of their ambitious and inspiring projects.
Find out more about the experiences of some of the groups on the programme: